Thursday, December 08, 2005

Movies

I'm completely disappointed that because of the flurry of activity in getting ready for our Christmas musical I'm not going to be able to see "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" tomorrow night. There's a slight possiblity of going Saturday, though, and I CAN'T WAIT!

As for the other movie that's getting alot of press lately, "Brokeback Mountain", it's doubtful I'll be seeing that one at all. Could it possibly be wise or anything but just totally depressing to someone with my background of experience? I mean, part of me actually wants to see it, if you can believe that. And yet, there's this other voice that says, "Don't do it." We are avid movie watchers/goers. Partly because we don't have television and partly because we just like movies. If we don't see something in the theatre we rent it and we end up seeing most of the box office hits as well as sleeper movies that get good reviews. I can just imagine Tdub's response to this part of this post...something along the lines of..."What in the heck are you thinking??? Of course we're not going to see that movie!"

Any thoughts?

grace

View Current Blog

4 comments:

Otherside said...

There's nothing wrong with that movie, I don't think. From what I've seen about it, anyway. One shouldn't avoid a movie because of gay characters, if that's what you were implying. If not, I appologizing for assuming so.

grace said...

Elizabeth,
It's not at all that they are gay characters. I'd see Rent and I've seen other movies with gay characters and enjoyed them very much. I've seen the previews and it's clear that they are closeted married gay characters. The best analogy I can think of offhand to explain the difficulty I'd have seeing it is this. Remember that movie "Saving Private Ryan"? When men who'd actually been there, at Omaha Beach in Normandy, saw that movie, many times they'd have to be physically assisted in leaving the theatre. It had that sort of emotional impact on them. Sometimes a hurt can hit too close to home and open a wound. Does that make sense? I appreciate your comment though because you've caused me to reflect a great deal on my discomfort with it and I'm thinking about writing more about that. :) I consider you a friend and I know you were completely well-meaning with that comment.

grace

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I don't know too much about the plot of "Brokeback Mountain." Did you or Tdub ever see "Far From Heaven?" From what I know, FFH hit really close to your Victorian 2-story (of course, it had a different ending).

We relate to the struggles depicted in great films. That is an important reason why they are great. That said, I think some movies can be too intense for personal reasons. I think you have to gauge this one carefully, and if you do decide to see it, be willing to leave the theater in the middle of the film.

grace said...

Hi Robert! Good to hear from you about this! I'm 99% sure we won't be seeing it. #1. It's not like there are not plenty of other good movies out right now. #2. I already know the ending and find it depressing on BOTH sides of the issue. Why go through the emotional agony of watching it played out right in front of me?