Tuesday, May 23, 2006

An Over-Simplified Primer in Ex-Gay Rhetoric

Here's my very over-simplified take on the problem that exists between the Ex-Gay movement and the folks at Ex-Gay Watch, who I'm assuming, represent a significant portion of the gay population in general.

Here are the things I can "get away with" in the camp over at Ex-Gay Watch.

1) stating my belief that homosexual acts are sinful and against God's plan for man
2) giving my own personal testimony about how Tdub has reduced his unwanted same sex attraction (through therapy and spiritual healing techniques) and increased (greatly) in his sexual attraction to me
3) speculating about the nature vs. nurture debate concerning sexual attractions/orientations and sharing personal stories or personal experiences
4) relating "change" of the sexual attraction sort to the Christian walk and other struggles with sin (namely, mine)
5) asking questions about the level of promiscuity in the gay community as compared to promiscuity in the hetero community
6) a bunch of other stuff but I'm tired of trying to think of all of them

Here are the things that WILL NOT under any circumstances fly with the camp over at Ex-Gay Watch. And, you may ask, why do I care what they think? Well....mostly....because I love those people. the gays. I respect them as individuals and as unique creations of God, and I just downright like them too. Because of that....I don't do these things:

1) being more appalled or SO appalled by homosexual acts (which I consider sin) than my own sinfulness or all types of other sins that I'm surrounded by on a daily basis and which do JUST AS MUCH to tear at the moral fiber of our culture as ANY other sin
2) making it sound like someone can actually be "cured" of same sex attractions as if it were a cold or something.....or, making it sound like there are "quick fixes" and there are hundreds of thousands of people who've followed some handy dandy steps and chosen to be free of unwanted same sex attractions. it ain't that simple. it's tough....and the hard truth of the matter is that some are more successful than others and it's difficult to understand why.
3) making relationally ignorant statements like "people are not born gay" which obviously does nothing more than INCITE gay folks. people are just born. i'm no more sure (and no one is) of when they receive gayness or straightness than those who argue about when an embryo becomes a fetus, becomes a soul, becomes a baby and on and on it goes. obviously....and my husband can attest....there are those who don't remember not being attracted to the opposite sex as soon as they were sexually attracted to anything at all....so....at what point that occurred...is really and truly still up for grabs. it is.
4) saying things like, "you just need to have more faith" or, "you aren't really a Christian if you're still gay" or, "you obviously have a bad relationship with your father and your mother must have been over-bearing" or, "gays are recruiting people to be gay"....maybe they would, if they could...but they CAN'T! if i'm an alcoholic, the person who took me to the bar for my first drink did not RECRUIT me...i was pre-disposed to that sin and it just IS. And it always will be. The fact that it's more acceptable than ever for young folks to go hang out in bars is not because of an "alcholic's agenda". It's just because of our society at large. (i know i may get in deep doo doo for comparing homosexuality to alcoholism.....i'm sorry....i hope you can love and forgive me)
5) talking about promiscuity in the gay community and never once mentioning that promiscuity is actually a HUMAN problem.....not confined to gays. Furthermore, seeming to blame all the evils of the world and our current culture on gay promiscuity. I've got problems with promiscuity here at my house....but not of the gay sort....son #1 is KILLIN' me! I guess...at least if he were struggling with gay sex I wouldn't have to worry about becoming a Grandma! (humor is one of God's greatest gifts and I'm finding every way I can in this situation to find it)
6) just being plain disrespectful of the gay community at large. yep, i think it's sin...but ya know....there are SO many sinful things about our culture.....i see no reason to go singling them out as the "axis of evil" for what ails us.

Ok.....I've had that little rant in me for a while and now it's out.

For those of you who read here and DO struggle because your attractions are unwanted....take heart. It sucks, I know. But there's always, always hope. Even when you screw up. (no pun intended! ha!)

love,
grace





View Current Blog

14 comments:

Mike Airhart said...

Ex-Gay Watch doesn't have formal or up-to-date guidelines for commenters, but we've been talking lately about drafting some.

But now I'm pleasantly surprised that you've written most of them for us! Would you mind if we borrow some? (With appropriate credit, of course. :-D )

Christine Bakke said...

I like you, Grace. :)

Christine Bakke said...

And I forgot to mention, I'd like to see the same basic courtesy extended to everyone...if we all took some time to understand those on the "other" sides of...whatever...we'd all be so much better off.

grace said...

Mike: Of course not! (as in, I don't mind :)

Christine: I like you as well! And you are right, this is not just a matter of gay vs. ex-gay....much of it is just common courtesy.

grace

kurt_t said...

Grace, great observations!

You mind if I add one?

7)Referring to gay-identified people as "sexually broken." If ex-gays want to consider themselves "broken," that's their business, but I find it appallingly offensive when people try to hang that label on me or other gay people. I have a job. I have a house. I have a family. I pay my taxes. I recycle. I'm a perfectly functional adult. I'm not broken. I don't need to be fixed.

Christine Bakke said...

Kurt, yes, totally agree with that. When I was ex-gay I did indeed describe myself as relationally and/or sexually broken. I no longer identify as that and it has been one of the most life-giving parts of my healing. I shudder to think of how I used to tell others that gays were sexually broken people, based on my own experiences. Aiiiiya.

grace said...

Kurt and Christine:

Hmmm. I understand what you are saying here...although, you know that brokenness is a word I've used pretty frequently here on my blog. However, I rarely (if ever) mention sexual brokenness without referring to my own brokenness. For someone like me, it's just another way of talking about sin. In which case, it seems there may be appropriate ways to use the term without being offensive to you guys. And yet, I can totally see how someone could be highly offensive with that terminology. Actually, most of this is not really about the actually words being used since I use many of the same words as the people who are unkind to you.....it's more about the spirit and respectfulness in which the words are used. Does that make sense? Let me know what you think.

love,
grace

kurt_t said...

Well, Grace, I don't see you projecting that idea of "brokeness" on gay-identified people. I think that's why a lot of gay people feel comfortable engaging you. I feel like what you do is you turn that idea of "brokeness" around and challenge people to see it in a different light.

Well, I guess another way of saying that is you put that concept of "sexual brokeness" into the bigger picture, the bigger Christian picture, in which everybody is broken and in need of salvation, and nobody has the right to say "You're more broken than me." or "I'm a complete human being and your not because you're broken."

Does that make sense?

grace said...

Kurt: Yes, it makes complete sense to me! :)

grace said...

Regan,
Just let me know what I can do. I'm sorry but I need a little clarification. Is it that you are trying to help your friend make some decisions regarding his marriage/sexuality? I know that's tough....but....there is hope for them if they work together. The first step, just being honest about your struggle, is horribly difficult and, obviously, keeps many people from ever doing anything at all...or eventually tears the marriage completely apart.

I asked Tdub how the Rangers were or if they were even still playing...LOL. He laughed at me and said they are having a great season. haha!

I look forward to hearing from you more!

love,
grace

grace said...

Thanks Regan!

Actually, many years ago, I voted for Ann Richards for govenor when she was running against Clayton Williams. Not sure if I think she'd have been a better president but I can't say she'd be any worse either! ;)

I will pray for your friend. Having been in the situation his wife is in I can tell you this...the betrayal of keeping secrets and having others in greater confidence than me....was an even worse betrayal than the actual secret itself. You know? But...we can pray about that! And yes, I will always be here as a resource for any of you when/if you need me!
love,
grace

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to point this out...but you are the only adult in my entire life that actually uses the word "lol" in anything! hahahahaha although..since I'm 18 I am an adult now arent I...geez im getting old.

I would just like to mention one thing. If the past few years have taught me anything its that being gay is such a minor problem in our lives/society. With issues such as poverty, homelessness etc its a wonder that (particualary Christian) people spend so much time and effort in this field of reparative therapy. If God wants us to change he will change us, in the meantime we would be better off addressing more serious issues in this world (although i admit its easier said than done eh....)


Best wishes.
Ed

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, my prayers fo your friend too Regan!

Ed

grace said...

Edwin,
Hey! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Tdub and I hang out with teenagers ALOT...maybe that's where the lol comes from...we also have My Space if you want to know how REALLY "latent" we can be! haha! We do believe wholeheartedly that "youth" and "maturity" can be entirely seperated. :)

You validate one of the very points I was making with this post. I believe Christians should serve others and be about the sorts of business Jesus taught us to be about. I've written it many times here....but we (myself included) often have such a difficult time trusting God to take care of His stuff and just staying busy with what we are REALLY supposed to be about. Loving and serving others. I can do that AND be truthful about my beliefs...the main one being...Jesus is Lord.

Thanks again for stopping by!
love,
grace