Saturday, September 17, 2005

Confession

OK....in the last post I put forth how "pristine" (not) we are because we don't allow the absolute waste of time and total junk that is television into our home. Today, I'm going to confess my stupid waste of time habit that I've somehow gotten into during the past year or so.

Mind you, I read....ALOT. I'm always reading at least two books at once. Usually a novel and some sort of Christian apologetic or something of that nature. (notice how i set this up by talking about how GOOD i am) But, I have this weird interest in reading the stupid US Weekly gossip magazine.

I hate it. It's stupid. I know that. But WHY.....why in the WORLD do I give a rip about Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, or Brittany Spears when I have YET to see, on-purpose hear, or in any way pay money to promote any of the projects any of them have ever been involved in? I honestly don't know any of the songs they sing, (don't they all sing?) or have never seen any of the movies (haven't they all been in a movie) they've been in.

I know I like seeing what clothes they are wearing. I do know that. But there's more to it than that. I guess.....I guess I like watching them.....thinking out loud here.....I like watching them screw up. Because they always do. No matter how glamorous it all sounds, they just move from one screw up to the next. All of them. Eventually. Why do I pleasure myself by reading about that and watching it? I guess I get some sort of confirmation from watching a bunch of people who always look awesome and yet inside there's a mess going on.

My husband says it's the one thing I do that lets him know that I'm "real". Ha. Ha. As if I haven't done/said enough other things in our marriage for him to know that.

I really need to get past this. It's a total waste of time and money.

grace

No comments: