Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Packing Up

We have only a few days of school left. Five, to be exact. I've been packing boxes for my move to the middle school. Next year I'll be a 7th grade English teacher. Whoopee!

I'm a bit concerned about the impression I might make in the beginning. I mean, I want to fit in and be a "real live middle school teacher". And yet, I've taught elementary grades for my entire career. It looks like this when you lay it out;

1st grade 5 yrs.
2nd grade 8 yrs.
5th grade 1 yr.
Art 4,5,6 3 yrs.

So...13 of my 17 years of teaching have been spent with very young children. Which means I've accumulated all sorts of.....uh....*ahem*.......STUFF....(better known as *crap*).

I've got feathers, metallic pipe cleaners, miniature clothespins, magnetic laser printer paper, stickers of ALL sorts, stamps, sponges, shells, tissue paper, craft paper, manilla paper, wiggly eyes, glitter, craft glue, fabric scraps, felt, etc. etc.,.... AND the containers to put it all in to boot! It's insane, actually. What the elementary teacher in me didn't find valuable....the ART teacher DID. Which means the last three years have reeked havoc on my "throwing away" tendencies which I DO enjoy from time to time.

Oh me oh MY.

I'm EXCITED about the move, though! Very much so. #3 and #4 will be going to the same middle school and I'll be teaching #3's grade. He won't have me as a teacher but he will have my teaching partner who is my very best friend. He doesn't stand a chance, poor dear. ;) *side note to Jenny....KB will be my teaching partner!*

Cleaning out and organizing things is VERY good for me. My poor custodian is the most gracious and understanding man I've EVER met. I've off-loaded no less than a dumpster full of trash so far and I'm less than half way through! Bless his heart!

The black eye from my concussion is really yucky looking right now.....but....the worse it looks the better I tend to feel....go figure.

Hope all is well with all of you!
love,
grace


View Current Blog

4 comments:

Christine Bakke said...

"the worse it looks the better I tend to feel"

Somehow that seems to fit a lot of life, doesn't it? Or maybe just my emotional life at times...Sometimes the healing part can look kinda messy...

grace said...

Christine,
You are so right....healing can be horribly messy. This verse in Romans comes to mind..."suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us...
Good to hear from you! Hope you had a good trip!

grace

Jenny said...

How fun that you and K get to teach together! It's going to be a good change for you.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Only a few days of school left... well, students, that is. I'm excited that you are going to get some down-time this summer and hopefully get some rest between now and starting a new grade and subject! Speaking of, my mom is switching from 6th Science to 5th Language Arts. Wild, huh? She was totally made for language arts classes, though, so it's a great fit.

I'm sure you'll do great at English - clearly, duh! :-)