Thursday, June 05, 2008

Status of the Quo

It's officially summer for me. Yippee!

I'm getting ready to move across town in my attempts to reorganize my life so that I have enough money to buy things like food and gasoline after paying for things like shelter, transportation, communication devices, and insurance to protect all of the former. Basically, the way it's worked in my current arrangement is that my salary was just enough to provide those things, but the downside was that I had to sit perfectly still inside my shelter for the entire month and eat saltine crackers. That was sort of depressing.

I feel compelled at this point to add a huge "thank-you" to some of you very kind readers who found something to purchase from my Etsy Shop even though I know you really don't need any of the stuff I make. But, I know you found something to buy just because you care so much. Furthermore, I want you to know that I'm saving the money in the PayPal account I have set up there for either an unforeseen "emergency" of some sort or to use at Christmas next year for the boys. I literally break down and cry every time someone buys something I've made. I'm not sure what's up with that, but that's what happens.

So, in reorganizing my life and finances, I'm moving across town. Not to worry, because in Sulphur, across town is a whopping 4 blocks. I'll be sharing expenses there with a teacher friend. She, like me, was new to the area last year which is nice because those of us who didn't rise up from the dirt of Sulphur (even though my family technically did) have to stick together around here. Remember last fall when I went on and on about how quaint and wonderful it was to live in a small community blah-de-blah? Yeah. Well. The downside to that arrangement is that half the town knows what you bought at the grocery store before you're done unloading the bags at home. That being the case, certain items (which fortunately aren't things I need or purchase) become outrageously expensive when you tack on the 30 mile trip to the next town to purchase them. These gas prices. *geez*

Along with the shared rent and expenses, my dad took me to his credit union - the one he uses, not a credit union that he actually "owns" - and helped me get my car refinanced. He's also going to be adding me to his cell phone service so I'll finally have an OK number and NO phone bill. If you're in my address book I'll send a message when that changes. All of these things will pare down my living expenses by about $400 a month. I'll be able to buy butter to smear on my saltines! Just kidding. It will be great - super - awesome.

I'll post pictures of the new digs soon. It's a 1940s craftsman style home (if i'm paying attention to HGTV properly, that is), and it's been completely remodeled. Very cool. It's also DIRECTLY across the street from our school. By that I mean that I can open the door of the school and see the house, or vice versa. Or, for fun, we could sit on our front porch during recess and covertly throw rocks at students we don't like. Ha. Ha. That's crazy. We love ALL the students. We'd never ever want to throw rocks at ANY of them. ;) I suspect we'll become the receiver of a few childhood "pranks" like toilet-papering or egg-throwing because of this move. Let's face it, even 6th graders who LOVE their teachers are still 6th graders.

I've got a TON of stuff to accomplish before the move next weekend. Which is why I've spent the better part of the morning blogging and catching up on blogs. Nothing seems to motivate me more to write than having 14 zillion more important things to do.

Keep in touch!
love and grace,
pam

p.s. I sat down to write something titled "Culture Warriors" and the above popped out instead. Go figure. Guess I'll give that piece a go after the big move. ;)



View Current Blog

3 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, it all sounds like a good move to me. I hope you and the teacher/housemate get along and both can appreciate the sharing. Sounds really good - everything! love, Carol

the_Tmac said...

I wouldn't go reading anything called 'culture warriors' --- it sounds like a whippin waiting to happen!

I just devoured your post below and commented there too. Very nice.

grace said...

Ok...fine...I'll titled it "people who think democrats are of the devil"

would that sound more compelling to read?? :)