Monday, May 19, 2008

Battered Skillet seeks Fitting Lid

In my efforts to save money I've given up cable TV for the time being. It's sad, but not having television has amplified my loneliness. A friend of mine told me about TVLand online where I can watch entire episodes of Andy Griffith and The Beverly Hillbillies. Other than Lost, I mostly watched TV Land when I did have cable.

So, I'm sitting here sculpting little doggies, painting some other craft projects, and listening to the wisdom of Granny Clampitt.
She spoke this nugget of wisdom in reply to Jed who was questioning the fact that she keeps a hope chest. According to Granny, "No skillet is so battered you can't find a lid for it."

I can't think of a more apt description for the way I've felt during the past year. A battered skillet. I guess there's a lid out there somewhere for a skillet like me. I liked being married. I liked having someone to figure out when/where/IF we'd be having dinner altogether or separately each day. I liked being accountable to another person, even in small ways like making the bed. Tdub always helped by fixed his side up and I fixed up mine and so the bed was made every day. I never make my bed anymore. It's just not the same when you're alone. I liked checking in with someone and them checking in with me. I liked having shared history. I liked fixing meals for someone and sometimes making them special in small ways. I liked coming home and talking about my students, sharing frustrations, joys, and sometimes things that are only funny between the two of us because of our shared history. Sure, there were lots of things I didn't like, lots of things I don't miss one bit. The things that battered my skillet, mostly.

But, according to Granny, there's hope.


View Current Blog

2 comments:

Norm! said...

Going TV-less is hard. A few years ago when I was living alone, my little TV broke. I decided to not buy a new one until I paid-off a credit card. I listened to a lot of public radio and tried to stream a few shows on the ancient computer I had. The situation did force me to get out more, bike, gym, visit mom (and mom's cable TV). Even now with TV, we still sometimes prefer to watch shows on Hulu.com, iTunes, and Netflix.

I love Granny! She does speak wisdom -- although I wouldn't take the 'battered skillet' self-image too far :)

kurt_t said...

Did you know that Irene Ryan, who played Granny, never had an acting lesson in her life?

If "Brady Bunch" episodes are available online, that's something that you probably don't ever want to tell me about.